Shipping, Returns & Cancellations
We generally ship products from our warehouse in Brighton, Colorado but in some cases, we might ship your product directly from our exclusive manufacturing facility in Taiwan.
It usually take 2-3 days to process your order & 2-3 days to ship your order. In cases of custom products which are made to order like spoilers, mirror caps, steering wheels, it will take 1-3 weeks time to process your order.
You will be sent an email with all tracking details as soon as we dispatch your product.
We have a 7 day return policy, which means you have 7 days after receiving your item to request a return.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be defective when received or not as mentioned in the product description and in the same condition that you received it, unused, with tags, and in its original packaging. You'll also need the receipt or proof of purchase.
In any case, whether your order had free or paid shipping, you will need to bear the return shipment charges.
We will inspect the product for paint, modification or breakage apart from manufacturing defects and issue a refund.
There are no return for products which are custom made to order like steering wheels, tail lights etc. You can check the product description for more details.
To start a return, you can contact us at email@example.com with your order number and images/videos of the product. Please note that returns will need to be sent to address we will be mentioning in your return approval email.
If your return is verified initially by pictures/videos, we’ll send you instructions on how and where to send your package. Items sent back to us without first requesting a return will not be accepted. Please note that if your country of residence is not United States, shipping your goods may take longer than expected. We will then inspect the item received and then issue a full refund. Your return shipping charges will not be refunded.
You can always contact us for any return questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns on sale items which have a discount of more than 25%.
You can cancel an order after it has been placed, if you cancel the order within 1 hour of ordering, you will be given a full refund. If the order has left our location / has been processed, you have to wait for the order to be shipped to you, then you the buyer is RESPONSIBLE for paying for the return shipping. If the item has not shipped yet and it has been over 1 hour since you've ordered, you will have to pay a 25% restocking fee and the rest 75% amount will be refunded within 24 hrs.